Ethiopian Mild Lamb Stew (Yebeg Alicha)

Lamb (Yebeg0) Alicha is my favorite dish. It reminds me of my childhood.

Ingredients:

2 lb lamb chops (ribs and meat)
¼ cup purified butter **
2 cups white onion (thinly chopped)
1 tablespoon fresh garlic or 2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh ginger-root juice or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder

1 teaspoon cardamom powder (korerima) *
¼ teaspoon bishop weed *
¼ teaspoon turmeric *
2 long hot chili peppers, seeded and sliced
6 cup boiled water
Salt to taste

Preparation:

1st Step: Cut the ribs in smaller sizes and the meat in small strips, wash it with cold water;

2nd Step: Boil water in large pot; add the cleaned ribs and the meat; cook it for 10 minutes and strain;

3rd Step: In medium heat, cook the onion with two cups of water (adding the water gradually); stir continuously until tender (10-15 minutes);

4th Step: Add the butter, garlic, ginger-root juice, bishop weed and cook for five minutes.

5th Step: Add the ribs and the meat; stir for five minutes; put four cups of water and turmeric; cover and cook for 30 minutes;

6th Step: Add cardamom (korerima), salt to taste and cook to simmer;. at the end, add the hot peppers and remove from heat.

Serving 6 persons

* You will find these spices in Ethiopian or Indian shops
** Please click here to see how to prepare
Purified Butter (Nitir Kebe)
For nutritional facts of this recipe please visit http://www.food.com/321660

1 comment:

Anjielea said...

I tried this recipe tonight. Though I'm sure it's better with the purified butter it was still very good. Thanks for all your postings. I plan to try more of these in the near future!

Post a Comment

Welcome

My name is Yewoin and my hobby is cooking. These simple, nutritious and tasty recipes are from my kitchen to yours. I hope you will enjoy them.

I have published, a cookbook called Yewoin's Family Recipes: Cooking and Caring. The main purpose of the cookbook is to use the proceeds to help the elderly people of Ethiopia. The cookbook has many more recipes including vegetarians and vegans.

If you have any question or suggestion, my e-mail address is yewoinfamilycooking@gmail.com

Here are some of my recipes:

Some of my recipes' nutritional facts and the calories content are analyzed. You may find a link at the bottom of each recipe.