Ethiopian Cracked Wheat Cereal (Yesinde Qiniché)

My Ethiopian Cooking: Cracked Wheat Cereal (Yesinde Qiniché)

Ingredients:

2 cups cracked wheat
1-2 tablespoon purified butter (Nitir Kebe)*
3 cups water

¼ garlic powder
1½ cup milk or rice milk
A pinch of turmeric or curry powder
Salt and black pepper to taste


Preparation:

1st Step: In a non-stick cooking pot, combine and boil water; milk or rice milk, one tablespoon of butter, turmeric or curry, and salt;

2nd Step: Rinse the cracked wheat with cold water; add it to the boiling liquid; lower the heat, stir occasionally to prevent from sticking; cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and the cereal is soft;

3rd Step: Remove from heat, add one tablespoon of butter (if desired).

Serve it hot as breakfast, snack or as a side dish.

P.S. If preferred, you may use cracked oats.

* Please click here to see how to prepare Purified Butter (Nitir Kebe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

My name is Yewoin and my hobby is cooking. These simple, nutritious and tasty recipes are from my kitchen to yours. I hope you will enjoy them.

I have published, a cookbook called Yewoin's Family Recipes: Cooking and Caring. The main purpose of the cookbook is to use the proceeds to help the elderly people of Ethiopia. The cookbook has many more recipes including vegetarians and vegans.

If you have any question or suggestion, my e-mail address is yewoinfamilycooking@gmail.com

Here are some of my recipes:

Some of my recipes' nutritional facts and the calories content are analyzed. You may find a link at the bottom of each recipe.