Ethiopian Whole Wheat Bread

My Ethiopian Cooking: Whole Wheat Bread (Yabisha Dabbo)

Ingredients

2 lbs Whole Wheat flour
½ oz or 1 tablespoon highly active dry yeast
1 tablespoon powder sugar (if desired)
¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon bishop weeds or ground coriander *
½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder
Salt to taste
8 cups warm water

1st Step: Starter - Mix the yeast with one glass of warm water and wait until rises; or use sourdough starter;

2nd step: Combine the yeast, coriander or bishop weeds, cinnamon, salt, sugar, oil with two cups of warm water in a large deep bowl; Mix well;

3rd Step; Add the flour to the yeast mixture. Blend it with hand by adding the warm water gradually, until the dough is smooth and elastic;

4th Step: Cover the bowl and allow rising until triple in bulk, (takes an hour or more);

5th Step: After dough has risen enough, transfer the dough to a deep baking round or square pan; Spread the dough evenly on the pan;

6th Step: Allow to rise for another 25-30 minutes;

7th Step: Bake at 350 degree for 45-60 minutes (the bread turns to golden brown);

8th Step: Remove the bread from the baking pan and set on a rack to cool.

* You will find these spices in Ethiopian or Indian shops/groceries

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried it was yummy ...Thank you chef Yeweyni,
Keep up a good job
I added pure Honey instead of sugar

Post a Comment

Welcome

My name is Yewoin and my hobby is cooking. These simple, nutritious and tasty recipes are from my kitchen to yours. I hope you will enjoy them.

I have published, a cookbook called Yewoin's Family Recipes: Cooking and Caring. The main purpose of the cookbook is to use the proceeds to help the elderly people of Ethiopia. The cookbook has many more recipes including vegetarians and vegans.

If you have any question or suggestion, my e-mail address is yewoinfamilycooking@gmail.com

Here are some of my recipes:

Some of my recipes' nutritional facts and the calories content are analyzed. You may find a link at the bottom of each recipe.